Discovery Sunday at RSPB Dove Stone reservoir promised to be a great day but the British weather had other plans. We set off into a spring like morning and were joined by a few intrepid early risers to decorate an Art Bird and make a nest box. But the rain and wind slowly crept across the hills, hiding the peregrines on Dove Stone Quarry and forcing us to shelter under our hastily erected gazebo. Then the snow set in. By lunchtime we realised our gazebo wasn’t built for the suddenly arctic conditions and decided we’d better call it a day and make a swift exit before we froze.
Well done to the brave few who joined us to decorate an Art Bird and make a nest box and we hope to return for a full day in Summer. Meanwhile how’s about abirdigloo for the resident penguins?
Need a bigger abirdabode
Discovery Sunday Art Bird 04
Discovery Sunday Art Bird 05
Discovery Sunday Art Bird 06
I think it might snow!
Discovery Sunday Art Bird 01
Discovery Sunday Art Bird 02
We are thrilled to be working with the RSPB for their first Discovery Sunday event of 2015 so join us for a fun day out at Dove Stone Reservoir as part of the 16th Annual National Nest Box Week and help give a bird an abode.
On Sunday 22nd Feb the RSPB and abirdabode project artists are joining forces at Ashway Gap to help you to give a bird a home.
Join us between 11am – 3pm for activities that include:
- Making a simple nest box for your garden*
- Decorating a bird silhouette to become part of the abirdabode exhibition at Gallery Oldham
- Learn about nest boxes and helping birds in your garden
- Get a sneak preview of some of the amazing abirdabode Art Birdboxes made by Oldham groups
- Chat to the RSPB experts about local conservation
- Get a glimpse of the resident Peregrine Falcons as they start their nest building **
Discovery Sunday runs from 11am to 3pm at Ashway Gap picnic area, about half way round the main trail. Parking is available. It is a drop-in event, the art activities are free, but there is a charge to make your own nest box (£5 for non RSPB members, £4 for members).
To help support the event you can download, print and display your own poster here.
Click here for directions to the reservoir and more info on RSPB Dove Stone.
All activities are weather dependent and may have to be cancelled at short notice in the event of severe conditions like snow or ice.
* We only have limited kits available so this activity is on a first come first served basis.
** Peregrine activities cannot be guaranteed and may be replaced by other birds without prior notice