Katie’s Moulin Rouge bird box has been complicated to make due to compound angles for both the roof and the sides (but especially for the roof). Luckily Katie proved to be a bit of a maths whizz in calculating the sizes of the triangles and the proportions of the bird box are extremely striking and sure to make a great artwork.
The inspiration for my bird box is from the film, Moulin Rouge. I am recreating the windmill. With sails, the body and design.
The windmill, will be the colour of a very deep red, with black details for the windows. The roof will be a very dirty colour of grey.
The reason that I chose to do the Moulin Rouge windmill is because I am a huge fan of the movie and I thought that the shape and design of the body would be a perfect size for the birds to inhabit. It has a very tall and sturdy structure to it.
wind mill in t’mill
Moulin Rouge bird box plan
We are thrilled to be working with the RSPB for their first Discovery Sunday event of 2015 so join us for a fun day out at Dove Stone Reservoir as part of the 16th Annual National Nest Box Week and help give a bird an abode.
On Sunday 22nd Feb the RSPB and abirdabode project artists are joining forces at Ashway Gap to help you to give a bird a home.
Join us between 11am – 3pm for activities that include:
- Making a simple nest box for your garden*
- Decorating a bird silhouette to become part of the abirdabode exhibition at Gallery Oldham
- Learn about nest boxes and helping birds in your garden
- Get a sneak preview of some of the amazing abirdabode Art Birdboxes made by Oldham groups
- Chat to the RSPB experts about local conservation
- Get a glimpse of the resident Peregrine Falcons as they start their nest building **
Discovery Sunday runs from 11am to 3pm at Ashway Gap picnic area, about half way round the main trail. Parking is available. It is a drop-in event, the art activities are free, but there is a charge to make your own nest box (£5 for non RSPB members, £4 for members).
To help support the event you can download, print and display your own poster here.
Click here for directions to the reservoir and more info on RSPB Dove Stone.
All activities are weather dependent and may have to be cancelled at short notice in the event of severe conditions like snow or ice.
* We only have limited kits available so this activity is on a first come first served basis.
** Peregrine activities cannot be guaranteed and may be replaced by other birds without prior notice